Thursday, November 29, 2007

What is Christmas?

I started to comment on Lori's blog and realized my answer was more like a blog entry! So, now I know what I will write today...

What is Christmas?
For some people it's the most depressing time because they can't live up to the expectations their children have that are fed by the media. For others it's another excuse to party and get drunk. Others see it as an opportunity to gather with family and friends and give gifts, but why? Is it out of duty or love? Or just a family tradition? It is because they are celebrating Christmas or a holiday/day off from work? Do they remember St. Nicholas, Santa Claus, or are they remembering the birth of Jesus Christ and the gifts the wise men presented to him?
The other day a freind shared with me a song by Reba McEntire called "Happy Birthday Jesus (I'll Open This One for You)" . I wish I could share the whole song with you, but it spoke to my heart.

A friend on an email list sent a link to a YouTube video called Christmas with a Capital C which really says it all for me! It's a rather "rocky" song but the message is so clear. I hope you will take a look and share the message with others.

Why are you celebrating Christmas? What/Who does it make you remember?

As for me, I will be remembering the birth of The Christ, the Messiah, the Savior, Emmanual ~ Jesus, Son of God. Even though man put a date on that day and the world has distorted and corrupted the remembrance, those who do remember can make a difference. We can use this Holy-day to share with those who have forgotten, or who have never known, why this Christmas Day is so important to us.

4 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That is what I will be remembering too. That Christ was born a lowly man and all He did for someone like me!

~~Deby said...

Great post and links Jamie...
Deby

Pen of Jen said...

Jamie excellent excellent excellent!

I am with you and find it troubling that we as a nation have gone so far from the reality of Christmas.

Keep on Writing like this:)

... said...

what a great post. and i love the video. if it's okay, i think i will post it sometime during this month. like you, it says perfectly how i also feel about the season.

and i love the music you have playing in the background. it's not distracting - it actually adds to reading your posts.