Saturday, January 3, 2009

January Musings

Happy 2009. May you be blessed this year. When you think of being blessed, do you think of only good things coming your way? That would be nice, wouldn't it?


I will be teaching a ladies Bible study on James beginning this week.
As I was preparing for the first lesson, I thought, "I really don't have any trials in my life right now other than my mother and her health issues." Little did I know..... within days, I was being tested. Was it an attack of the enemy? Was it a physical/chemical imbalance/ emotional issue??? It doesn't really matter. The fact is, I was thrown into depression and tears. Frustrated with myself, I thought, "How can I be joyful when depressed????"

After visiting my doctor who has seen me for a couple of years, he said I am affected by
Seasonal Affective Disorder, as well as other stressors in my life . I never would have believed it, but when I took a look at the symptoms, I had to agree. So, armed with God's Word and, as much as I hate to, with meds, I am now ready to face James!

Count it all joy. That's a hard one, isn't it? We want to ask, "Why? Why me? Why now?" But being a Christian doesn't give us an exemption from pain, suffering, trials, etc. If we didn't face challenges, our faith wouldn't grow. Our relationship with God wouldn't grow and change. We would remain baby Christians, having tantrums when faced with difficulties leading to anger and bitterness.

If we accept those challenges and trials, and allow God to develop patience and endurance in us, we will be better prepared to to face future difficulties. As a former pastor used to say, "It's good for your character!"

So, I hope you will be blessed as you face whatever this new year brings, by finding joy and growing in your walk with the Lord.

Although I have not felt like doing many of the things I generally enjoy, I have recently done some knitting and sewing. Check out my projects here:
Stamp Stitch Scrap for JOY

Blessings 2 U ~ J-ME

2 comments:

Cristine said...

Hi J-Me...you posted this a bit earlier in the month, but how are things going, anyway? I really enjoyed your reminder in this post that if we didn't face challenges, our faith wouldn't grow and we would remain baby Christians. AMEN sister! Take care.

God Bless you,
Cristine

Char said...

Hi J-ME,

I have suffered from this for years and years....altho there was no name ever given to it.

Thank you for posting...as although I knew that my seasonal depression always came around the same time every year....I really didn't know that there was a name for it.

Hang in there!!! We CAN get thru it.

HUGS,
char